Once upon another time in a world before Graphic User Interface (GUI) I used to sell things. I won’t bore you with my progress from nightclub DJ to retail high-end home HiFi, to car stereos (sold enough to buy a house), to outside sales, but let’s just say that for all intents and purposes, sales is sales….
One of the key things that separates a good sales person from a not-so-good sales person is that the good sales person is never afraid to ask for the order – and the money!
So what does that have to do with email marketing? I’m glad you asked….
First we need to get on the same page on a couple of things.
1. Marketing is everything that you do to that brings qualified customers to your door
2. Sales is collecting the money in exchange for a product or service
Next we need to understand some basic functions of an email marketing message.
1. After sender recognition, the Subject Line causes a message to be opened (Note: sender recognition alone is not enough to cause a message to be opened)
2. A Value Proposition gives the recipient a reason to want to purchase
3. The Call To Action drives clicks
4. Conversions happen at the landing page
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s move on….
One of the more common situations that I hear is, “We get great open rates and lots of clicks, but not very many conversions…. Why?”…read on